Dear Society | Teen Ink

Dear Society

By fionamei SILVER, New York City, New York
fionamei SILVER, New York City, New York

“Dear Society” by “Brenda” was a poem that made me nod as I read. Every line is so true. It’s a letter to society, asking, “Why oh why do you label me? And try to disable me? Based solely on appearance.” There have been many times where I’ve got comments on the way I looked that made me desperately want to change. But why should I? I’m comfortable with the way I look. Well right until you said that, of course. 

“You can try to change me into something I’m not but I love who I am and that’s what I’ve got.” I’m not going to be a hundred percent satisfied with the way I look. There’s always going to be things about me that I’ll find to pick on. But it does help when people are more accepting of the way other people look. If it’s not the hairstyle you’re used to seeing, don’t judge. If it’s not the clothing style that you’re used to seeing, don’t judge. We should start judging people by who they are. Are they rude? Are they kind? Are they selfish? Are they generous? Are they problematic? Come on. There’s more to people than just looks.