Rain Dance | Teen Ink

Rain Dance

May 23, 2019
By kathytennis SILVER, New York City, New York
kathytennis SILVER, New York City, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
-Michael Scott


ginning of the story starts off seemingly normal, with the main character "Vinny" being curious as to why her friend couldn't come out to play. She is continuously given the response that Gracie (her friend) cannot come outside today because it is raining. This statement confused Vinny as she thought about every other day when Gracie came outside to play and everything was fine. She wondered about what was so different about this time that Gracie had to stay inside her house. 

       What's interesting about this piece is that the end of the story confirmed my prior thought that Gracie was in fact, a human living on another planet. Throughout the story Gracie is referred to as an "alien", who cannot touch the rain. This was slightly confusing until the end when Vinny goes to Gracie's house to see if she was home. Vinny then sees the sign on the door to her house stating that the reason why humans or "aliens" couldn't come outside was because of acid rainfall where they lived. It was at this point in the story when the reader would realize that Vinny is from another planet and Gracie was a human originally from Earth who couldn't go outside into the acid rain since it would harm her.