Separating the Artist from the Art | Teen Ink

Separating the Artist from the Art

May 24, 2019
By fionamei SILVER, New York City, New York
fionamei SILVER, New York City, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

   “Separating the Artist from the Art” by Isabel Nelson is an essay giving her point of view about whether or not people should still enjoy someone’s art without supporting them. She introduces two of the most popular musical artists in cases of sexual assault- Michael Jackson and R. Kelly. Nelson also provides information about the cases, using sources such as the HBO documentary, “Leaving Neverland” about Michael Jackson and quotes from articles regarding the R. Kelly case. I’ve been conflicted with whether or not I should support Michael Jackson ever since finding out about the crimes he had committed. This well- written piece had changed my mind and perspective about it. 

   Being introduced to Michael Jackson’s music at such a young age, it was inevitable that I fell in love with it. I sang his songs by heart and, well, all was good. Learning about the pedophilia had torn me apart and I was pacing back and forth with one question: should I still listen to his music? I still listened to his music but kept my stance that what Jackson did was wrong. But after reading “Seperating the Artist from the Art,” I’ve come to realize that I should stop. She writes, “How would you feel hearing your assaulter’s voice on the radio...?” And I literally stopped. I had never thought about it that way before. 

   I thank Isabel for writing such an amazing piece addressing this situation and sharing her point of view. She’s opened up my mind about instances like this and it’s like as if I’ve got a weight lifted off my shoulders.