Review | Teen Ink

Review

By gmeuleman BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
gmeuleman BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

The writing titled “Sixteen,” written by Gabrielle Lattery talks about how young you are when you start driving. Her writing left me feeling nervous and scared to grow up. My mom has always said that it’s crazy that at 18, which is still a teenager, you have to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. As I have entered into high school and am drawing nearer to that point, I finally understand what she means. This writing deals with the same things. The author says, “How kids who are still required to raise their hands to go to the bathroom, are entrusted with a responsibility that pleads- no, requires an abrupt transformation into adulthood.” I laughed at this because the truth of the statement was too overwhelming. They aren’t adults at all. It is crazy to think that in less than two years I will, “...receive keys to a machine that ends 1.3 million lives every year.” Some kids in my class receive them even sooner. It’s crazy because I’m still a child. I don’t even understand how taxes work yet, but I can be trusted to handle a death trap on wheels.