Review | Teen Ink

Review

By Tschlachter BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Tschlachter BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

The writing titled “The Man with No Shoes,” written by Madeline Gerber, talks about a man he saw that had no shoes in the subway. His writing left me feeling intrigued.

The author talked about a time when he was in the subway and saw a strange man walk by with no shoes on. That man sat down next to the author and started having a conversation with him. As the author stated, ”I look closer studying the leathery skin and overgrown toenails.” This implies that he was judging him based on his looks and not his personality. I was surprised when the stranger said why he was bare foot. The author states, “It’s my little girl’s birthday. She’s seven already and all she wanted for her birthday was a real cake. I sold my shoes so I could make her birthday better.” The author was shocked by this and felt guilty because he judged him. The author reached down and removed his own shoes and gave them to the stranger. This was a very good thing he did and the stranger is probably very grateful because of him.