Feedback on | Teen Ink

Feedback on

October 21, 2019
By iris_emmanuel BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
iris_emmanuel BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"She is a beautiful piece of broken pottery, put together by her own hands. and a critical world judges her for her cracks while missing the beauty of how she put herself back together."


  The eloquent and magnificent article “Trapped In Society” by Autumn depicts a horrifying yet unfortunately true tale of a girl who feels the need to change who she is to make herself fit into society’s standards. She describes in detail the girl’s struggles as she critiques every part of herself, finding flaws with everything. Autumn also illustrates the way that she allows the people around her to influence not only her opinion of herself, but the way she dresses and her diet. She also beautifully discusses the way women are objectified, and treated with so little regard to which one doesn’t see the point in living anymore.

     What really stood out to me and made me think about this piece was the way the author describes in such a poignant fashion the struggles women face everyday. And despite realizing that women are such strong beings, she still struggles with insecurity, and people out there still deal with these issues like rape and catcalling. Autumn says “Women are the strongest people she knows, more mature and forward thinking than the men she interacts with. They fight through body shaming, leering, impossible beauty standards, catcalling, leering, and arrogance… and yet… Her friend doesn’t eat. Her aquaintance doesn’t sleep. And she still hates herself”. As a teenage girl, I can definitely relate to the idea of not being pretty or skinny enough. I have always criticised myself and told myself that I am too fat, or too ugly to even exist. And I still struggle with these feelings of self-worth. But I’ve learned that I’m stronger than that. And this article really impacted my worldview, not just as a insecure teenage girl, but as a friend and outstander.


The author's comments:

This article that I'm reviewing really described my struggles perfectly in words. It portrayed my emotions and negative thoughts while discussing the positive view of women I have yet still struggling to discover my self worth.