Not Man Enough | Teen Ink

Not Man Enough

By KiannaM819 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
KiannaM819 BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

I may not be able to completely relate to Erik Posadas’ article, “Not Man Enough”, since I am a female, but I do understand and hate that society treats men, who are more feminine, this way. All around me, I hear people call men, who are more on the feminine side, gay, even if they’re not, or throw insults, and it upsets me. Toxic masculinity is a big issue in today’s society, and what's wrong with being gay? Why is that being used as an insult? Men shouldn’t be taught to hide their emotions, to be “tough”. Men are not robots, they are human. And besides, why is being feminine such a problem? Why is it more accepted that women can be masculine but men can’t be feminine? Even children face this discrimination, and that can be very damaging to their mental health. It shouldn't be this way. When Posadas says that pink is seen as a “girl’s color” and that men shouldn’t go near it since it represents femininity, I ask again to society, why is it taboo? Why are men taught to hide behind a shell and show no emotion or vulnerability? Pink may be associated more with females, but it's just a color, there shouldn't be an assigned gender. Towards the end of the article, Posadas explains that he has decided to accept himself, who he is, and encourages that you are fine the way you are, that “you are a man exactly the way you are right now.” and that only your judgement of yourself matters. I wish men knew this. I want to tell this to every man who faces discrimination for being more feminine than what society percieves to be acceptable for a man to be. Embrace who you truly are. Thank you Erik Posadas for sharing your heartbreaking, encouraging, and eye-opening story. Hopefully, one day we can erase the idea that men shouldn’t show their "feminine" side, or better yet, erase the standard that a man should fit in order to be called a "man".