Feedback on | Teen Ink

Feedback on

October 28, 2019
By katiegaglio BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
katiegaglio BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

  Brown, written by Amelia Zander, speaks from the point of view of a young immigrant from Mexico. It discusses her family's experiences in America, and her longing to return home. Beautifully written, the poem evokes a feeling of pity for the narrator and her family, as it describes their hardships in this new environment. It shows the truth behind all of the media and breaks the facade of immigration, and shows how truly difficult it is, especially for a child, to leave home behind and come to a brand new place. 


A few specific lines in this poem had a lasting effect on me. The narrator describes the way she recognizes her family when they come home from work. “Papi comes home reeking of fertilizer and anti-fungal, Mami smells like lemons and ammonia”. She describes how her parents and making sacrifices to support their children in America, working long days. Another line that I felt touched me was in the beginning of the poem, where the narrator describes her longing to return home. “As if with one crooked finger Mexico could beckon her lover children back, wrap barbed-wire snares around thin ankles and lift bodies past clouds”. This showed me that the narrator, wished for her homeland, but knew it wasn’t going to be a choice to go back home. Brown gives readers a truthful look inside the life of immigrants, and shows the hardships that many go through to support their families.