Dead Last | Teen Ink

Dead Last

By xx_starflight_xx BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
xx_starflight_xx BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

My greatest wish? It has always been to roam free and experience the whole world. Now I would add that wherever I go, it simply must be with you! Each day with you is an adventure, and where adventurers go, storytellers must follow!

The article “Dead Last” by Alex Zhang talks about his struggles as a swimmer. He mentions that he swims “slowly and with terrible form,” every time during practice. However, Alex was a strong in the butterfly stroke, the hardest stroke every swimmer has been taught. His team always neglected him and never invited to swim meets because he was slow. Alex was determined not to be dead last again, but to be dead middle. With practice and determination, Alex managed to achieve his goal. I completely agree with him: practice doesn’t always make perfect, but it can improve your skill.

As a swimmer myself, I can relate to this article wholeheartedly. Like Alex, everytime when I finish my laps, whether for practice or during swim, “I would be gasping for air, my arms two long pool noodles.” (I love his choice of words in this sentence.) Although I’m not not slowest swimmer on my team, I am also not the fastest. This article shows left a positive impact on me; Alex shows that with practice, you won’t be dead last anymore.