A Letter to My Younger Self | Teen Ink

A Letter to My Younger Self

By quarter BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
quarter BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

I enjoyed reading Kevin Fan’s article “A Letter to My Younger Self.” This was a piece about the writer’s experience growing up, written by his sixteen-year-old self to his ten-year-old self and reflecting on his experiences, including moving to Palo Alto, where he is challenged in school for the first time, and his parents getting divorced. He talks about how he turned to religion to help him, even though he never used to be religious, and how as he grew up, he discovered himself and who he was--what made him unique and what made him stand apart from others.

One of the topics that was discussed in the article was religion, and as a person who is not very religious, I liked getting to see the role that religion played in the life of someone who was very religious, and I enjoyed how the way it was discussed did not make me feel bad for not being religious, but instead felt interesting and inspiring. Another element of the piece that was inspiring was the discussion of how Kevin grew up, discovering himself and who he was. I loved how he spoke in the ending about how even though he went through difficult times, he managed to survive and get through every challenge, and how that changed him for the better. Although the piece spoke about very difficult parts of growing up and painful obstacles that some people have to face, it was overall positive and inspiring, as the writer looks back upon his experiences and reflects on how they have shaped him. It was very well-done.