What's The Harm In Electronics During School? | Teen Ink

What's The Harm In Electronics During School?

By BubbiG GOLD, Columbia, Maryland
BubbiG GOLD, Columbia, Maryland

"NEVER LOOK BACKWARDS ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD!"

Lisa Left-eye Lopes

Why is it a rule that students are not allowed to listen to their I pods and use their cell phones in school? What if these electronic devices are for a good cause? Here’s a better question, why can’t we use electronics at certain times during school? It’s slightly unfair and I want to address this issue. I believe that the “No electronic devices including cell phones and I pods will be stored out of sight at the start of period one,” policy in Howard County public school system is inappropriate and on the behave of other students we believe it’s an unfair rule. In my opinion cell phones and I pods shall be used in case of an emergency, calculator and for organizing. I pods shall be used during free time and music helps with concentration. Electronics should be allowed because of emergencies, organization, concentration and for educational purposes.

First Electronics could help in an emergency! Now I understand that emergency cards are provided for the authority to call in case of a real emergency, but that is depending on the situation! Emergency cards are used if a student passed out, having an asthma attack or even a seizure. Now an emergency card does not always work. what if the authorities cannot reach anybody on the emergency card? What happens to that student? Now if the child is really sick, having an allergy attack or even injuries; if this student is capable to do so than that student should be allowed to use his or her cell phone. Now I did an interview and I asked an adult “Do you think that electronics should be allowed during school?” The Adult responded “Yes at certain times though, not during class.” I also did an observation this was during 4th period! I observed a young lady, who was not feeling well, texting her dad because the teacher wouldn’t send her to the nurse. In this situation I believe this was an appropriate move because the teacher would not send the young lady to the nurse to call her dad.

Next electronics can also help with concentration. I pods can be used for many different activities if necessary. I believe I pods should be used for concentration purposes like for example a computer assignment. Sites like Cognitive Tutor, HSA Practice Online Testing, and educational game sites require I pods. As long as the I pods are not distracting anybody than it shouldn’t be a problem. Authorities attempt to overreact and not see things from a child’s point of view. I interviewed a student who agreed with the adults “It’s dumb for a kid in school to listen to I pods and talk on Cell phones, it’s also a distraction.” I totally disagree with her response. I also observed during second period listening to his I pod while working on Cognitive Tutor. This student, before he listened to his I pod, was not getting his work done and he stayed on the same unit. When I pods were allowed in only that class this same student was able to complete his unit on Cognitive Tutor.

Finally electronics can be used for educational purposes. Cell phones should be allowed when the student is using his or her calculator to solve an equation. Cell phones should also be allowed when a student needs to copy down an assignment. Like an agenda book for example. Students does not always look through their agenda books, but a student is always looking through their cell phones. The student should be allowed to use their cell phones to stay organized. I pods can keep a student on track in class, but only for certain activities. Electronic devices are not just used for entertainment; they’re also used for educational purposes.

To conclude I do agree with not using electronic devices while the teacher is teaching because it does become a distraction. So why not just let students use it in the morning, during free time and in the after noon? What’s the harm in that? We’re in high school and we should be treated like mature young adults. Students can handle using electronics when they’re suppose to. Electronics should ONLY be used for educational purposes, concentration purposes, and emergency purposes. Electronics again is not only for entertainment pleasures but also for something constructive. As I said before electronics should be allowed during lunch time. Electronics are not hurting anybody, so why ban them right?

Sincerely,

Ashley S.

I will like for teens and adults to read this and give feedback. this is from a teen's point of view!

maya said...
us kids get bored so are cell phones can keep us from getting bored. so i disagree!

yes,but they cheat on stuff and it is not good.

sadpie121 said...
If think that if a student uses the electronics in class, that's fine. Maybe a kid's grades suffer because he keeps playing games when he is supposed to be doing homework. So what? That's his problem, not the teacher's. They need to learn to act responsibly at some point, so why not at high school? The whole point of high school is to get kids ready for the real world, and in the real world, people act responsibly on their own. High school students need to practice that.

my hp said...
i believe electronics should not be used in classrooms.electronics are available 22 hours,only we have 2 hours in which we find a tellented teacher

i think students should be able to use cell phones because, when we see the teachers using them we dont yell at them but when they see us using our phone its diffrents. isnt it a free country arnt we stupposed to be free. and be able to do what we want like the rest of us.

Lazygirl2 said...
I believe electronics should be used in class because music calms me down.. and expectually when teachers are telling you something you already know or don't want to hear you can tune them out in my opinion.Also ipods have apps on them that can help you on work i googled it..haha.

love teacher said...
I am a high school teacher and I feel cell phones and other electronics should not be allowed in school. I feel these electronics can be dangerous if used in the wrong content.

Nelie4show said...
XD LMFAO ^^^^

cookie 123 said...
i like chees

Noble6 said...
My School also lets you have your phons on you but not out. But this rule should be loosend up.

Rangergirl said...
hiney i totally agree wit yu!  If you see the school i go to it would be horrible and make  you scream that is wu2t i wanna do.  HMMM Hiney

sexy said...
i love facebook

5baby95 said...
I think schools should let the use of electronics in school but only in free peroids not in actual class. school is a place for learning, not just to goof around. I would love to listen to music and use my own phone everyonce in a wile but we all know that will not happen for a long time, maby even never.

treyhdujt said...
hahahhahahahahah^^^^ 
XD

AelitaReloaded PLATINUM, Scottsdale, Arizona

"The pen is mightier than the sword" author unknown (to me)

Your essay is oretty goood, but it needed a really thorough proofreading.  There were some typos.  Also, the points were very redundant.  I agree with you on this issue, but I still had a hard time buying into it in the context of this peice, since you only kept saying one, maybe two points.  Try and think outside the box.

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

I totally agree with you One time I had to tell my mom that I needed to stay after school and the school's phone wouldn't work for me.  So I secretly used my  cellphone.  :O

walle said...

wow ur hot

Madigirl12 said...
i  think  that at my school we should be allowed to  listen to our ipods and cell  phones.

rockyrules said...
i agree with having electroincs in school!!

coolkid765 said...
coolkid765, East Longmedow, Massachusetts
at my school as long as your phone is not out it is okay to have but if you did have your phone and their was a real emergency i bet the teachers would be fine with you calling although i would like to be able to use my phone freely throughout the day their is the issue of cheating some phones have internet and you could text a freind for test answers