Catholic School Girls | Teen Ink

Catholic School Girls MAG

I would like to congratulate Brittany B. on a very well-written parody of the stereotypical Catholic school girl. Being a Catholic school girl, though, I disagree with and am appalled by the reputation given to my classmates and me. Just one walk through the halls of my school will make it clear that the stereotype does not apply.

This stereotype was revitalized by Britney Spears' "Hit Me Baby One More Time." The poem clearly depicts the Spears image, and little else. It is important to realize, as with any stereotype, that it does not apply to everyone.

I understand that it is difficult to form individual opinions, but I will be the first to declare to anyone who is unsure that Catholic school girls have lives with much more substance than drugs, money, tight clothes and sexuality. We are very hard-working, care about others, are no more caught up in popular culture than any other teenager, and our brain cells certainly don't pop like bubble gum.

WritingAddict03 SILVER, Saint Peters , Missouri

Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Based on my former Catholic school (I'm a public/homeschool school student now,) I completely agree with this article. However, there are many schools that are more Catholic in name than I practice, so I can also see where the opinions in Brittany B.'s article came from. However, it is unfortunate that Catholic schools are given such a bad rap based on only a small percentage of schools that don't live up to their Christian values. It greatly frustrates me that all Catholic schools, (as well as the Catholic religion overall,) are often stereotyped negatively because of this reason. I also agree with whatshername's comment. However, I am always particularly disappointed and appalled every time I hear negative stories about Catholic schools. There is no reason for such things to be happening in school walls, and as Catholics, it is the teachers' and staff's duty to make sure that students receive a quality Catholic education, which is done not only through school curriculums but through example.

i so agree lol 

whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California
there are mean girls everywhere...even in public schools many girls wear tight clothes, are driven by materialistic possessions ect.

No one will read this, but it has to be said: stereotypes don't apply to people, most of the time.

It all depends on how people are going to act. 

Something you have no control over.

So if they go forth with being a stereotype or an individual is up to them.

Get over it, you can't stop it.

WhiteRabbit BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

"Why do we fall sir? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." -Batman Begins

Honestly I have to disagree, I go to a cat school, and a lot of girls from there can be really crude, and mean. Honestly!

windblossom said...
windblossom, Hyderabad, Other

"The caterpillar does all the hard work, but the butterfly gets all the publicity"

I totally agree with you! Its a very healthy environment there, and catholic girls are'nt like cut off from the world are they! I studied in a catholic school too and enjoyed my time there a lot! we actually make great friends there! :)