Drinking Law | Teen Ink

Drinking Law

By abruns16 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
abruns16 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Teen Ink
P.O. Box 30
Newton, MA 02461

Dear Editor:

I believe that the drinking age in America is ridiculous! When you turn eighteen the United States recognizes you as an adult. As an adult, you should be able to make all the decisions, whether negative or positive. The government should loosen up its grip on alcohol and lower the drinking age for many reasons.

When you are working at a bar or restaurant the legal age to handle alcohol is eighteen. However, you can not drink it. Does that make any sense? If you are able to be around alcohol I think you should be allowed to drink it. Another thing I find astonishing, is that someone can be eighteen and go off to war and fight for our country but they can’t relax with a beer.

Whenever people are forbidden to do something, it enhances the desire to do it. If alcohol were legal at a younger age people might be less interested in drinking it. I know that some of my friends drank a lot when it was illegal for them but when they turned twenty-one; it seemed to be less interesting.

If you can buy cigarettes and weapons when you are eighteen what makes alcohol any different? In Germany, Spain, and Poland the drinking age is sixteen, as well as many other countries. Some nations don’t even have a drinking age. The United States is a little behind in new age thinking about its drinking laws.

Some people might say that this will increase alcoholism, but I say different. If someone wants to drink they will find a way. Also, if they drink at an earlier age alcoholism can be spotted earlier. I think that everything has pros and cons, but lowering the drinking age definitely has more positives.

Sincerely,

Ashley

chrissyclarinetist BRONZE, Delta Junction, Alaska
THANKU!!!!!!

i agree with youwillneverknowme because drinking should be for adults and not just what the U.S.A. considers adults. Teens are careless enought with driving but if they were drunk and driving it would be so much worse... but i liked you piece dont get me wrong.

Ashley, i like how you write your piece. But, i think you are wrong. If the drinking age is lowered than many eighteen year olds are going to become alchoholics. There will also be many more drink drivers on the road. Teens cuase many accidents anyway WITHOUT alcohol.