Concrete Poems are a must-have!!! | Teen Ink

Concrete Poems are a must-have!!! MAG

By Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Teen Ink has a wonderful website, magazine, and book series. However, I think it is missing something: concrete poems. This is a type of free verse poem that is shaped like the object it describes. Teen Ink should consider including this type of poem. I think that would be really cool and teens would enjoy this new way to express themselves.

I also think Teen Ink readers would like this feature because concrete poems are a challenge to read, and they would enjoy the creative visual design too. Thank you for ­taking the time to read this letter.

If you want to know more about concret poems then read the book Blue Lipstick by John Grandid. It has a bunch of cool concrete poems from the perspective of a teenage girl. I know about these poems because in my English class we are doing a unit on Poetry and we learned about these and I think they are awseom. They are totally the best poems ever,in my opinion anyway.

That sounds cool. Thanks for the suggestion! I will check that out sometime. 

KeepReading BRONZE, Kansas City, Missouri

“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
―Dr. Seuss

If you like poetry, you might want to check out book spine poetry, which is exactly what it sounds like. You make poems out of book titles- you simply stack them however you'd like!

haha... you sure aren't humble but you do have a good sense of humor... I'll go check it out and let you know what I think! :)

camohunter19 GOLD, Sedro-Woolley, Washington

"Girls are so queer you never know what they mean. They say No when they mean Yes, and drive a man out of his wits for the fun of it." "Violence is never the answer! It is a question, and the answer is yes."

Speaking of good ideas, read my poem, The Sun Rise, 'tis amazing! (And yes, I am not a humble person)

You are right. That is a good idea!

If you really wanted concrete poetry on the website, why not put it under Pen and Ink in Art/Photos? You argue that it is a form of art.

I love them too and I agree with you! They are so awesome!! :D Thanks for commenting on my article!

NadaNirvana said...
I love concrete poems b/c their art & writing wrapped into 1!

hahaha... that's so funny! Yeah, that happens to me sometimes when I am browsing through articles on Teen Ink! :D

SaritaFajita BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

- In your anger do not sin.
Psalm 4:4

- "Love the life you live, live the life you love." -bob marley.

You read my minddd! I was just thinkin about that likee 2 seconds ago and up pops your article! (:

Thanks. I know right!

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

Haha, I actually tried to post some like that, and they turned out all weird! That would be ttly amazing!! :D

SamiLynn PLATINUM, Anthem, Arizona

"The unexamined life is not worth living." ~Socrates

awesome :)

I haven't experimented much with concret poems but, I wrote a flower one that I thought was pretty cool! My school actually has a cretive writing club that I'm in and I'm going to try to encourage them to write some concrete poems.

SamiLynn PLATINUM, Anthem, Arizona

i have actually, i used to write them all the time! they look so beautiful that way :) in spirals, hearts, etc, wats the coolest shape uve used?

Thanks! I love concrete poems also. They are so awesome. Have you written any?(I have written 2.)

SamiLynn PLATINUM, Anthem, Arizona

love concrete poems! ( just never knew their name) I totally agree!

k.james SILVER said...
k.james SILVER, Whitby, Other

"Love without action is meaningless, action without love is irrelevant." -Deepak Chopra

WOW THESE POEMS SOUND REALLY COOL :) GREAT ARTICLE :P