Getting Published | Teen Ink

Getting Published MAG

September 14, 2010
By Marlene Villacis BRONZE, Surprise, Arizona
Marlene Villacis BRONZE, Surprise, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I have come to acknowledge that getting published in your magazine has to be the hardest thing that has ever come my way. I am more than sure it is harder than getting into Harvard, which definitely means something. I yearn to be published and have the honor of being in Teen Ink.

Every time I write a piece for you, I pour my heart and soul into it and yet, every time, I am denied. I give you passion and details, facts and numbers; what exactly is it you want? I spent hours writing my last submission and I was sure that you would find it ­intriguing and vivid, but boy, was I wrong! I’ve written reviews, stories, and my views on teenage pressures, yet none was good enough. I’m not one to admit defeat so soon in the game, but I don’t know what else to write that will seem majestic enough for your magazine’s stature.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 19 comments.


on Oct. 1 2016 at 10:41 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other
43 articles 2 photos 581 comments

Favorite Quote:
God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

I have been published many times in the magazine, but I can certainly relate to the struggle, especially considering poems. I guess we just have to keep writing and submitting until it pleases them (or us, or the readers.)

on May. 5 2016 at 10:25 pm
aditipallod GOLD, Breinigsville, Pennsylvania
17 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."

Confucius

Hey, I'm checking out your work right now, and I can honestly say that your poems are amazing. I especially love your piece titled, "Injections". It's been four years and two days since this comment and you've been published six whole times -- so congratulations!

on Feb. 22 2016 at 12:33 am
HaliBug PLATINUM, Apopka, Florida
31 articles 1 photo 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything seems impossible until it's done," - Nelson Mandela

Believe me, I completely understand. I've been trying for years to get published in their magazine, and so far, nothing. A lot of what I submit gets denied before even being allowed on the website. I know someone who's been published in their magazine so many times, yet I struggle to get one in there. Congratulations on getting published, finally, by the way!

on Jan. 24 2015 at 1:39 am
rachelchace DIAMOND, Stratford, Connecticut
65 articles 9 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If everyone were perfect, Individuality would be extinct." -Rachel Chace (me)

oh my goodness i feel your pain

on Jul. 9 2014 at 9:03 pm
DerienShawn BRONZE, Clarksville, Tennessee
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do what deserves to be written, or write what deserves to be read."

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you're feeling; but I'm sure that knowing the difficulties involved in being published helped make the experience all the more gratifying for you in the end. Congratulations, write on, and I can only hope to have the same honor bestowed upon my work one day!

on May. 28 2014 at 1:12 am
CruxClaire GOLD, Park Ridge, Illinois
11 articles 1 photo 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
-Mark Twain

I'm loving the irony here, what with this being published and all! I think nearly all writers who have submitted work in hopes of being published can identify wholeheartedly with this. 

on Apr. 15 2014 at 3:03 pm
Regoneth SILVER, Ilford, Other
9 articles 1 photo 36 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cake hole.” - Dean Winchester, Supernatural.

The picture that goes with the article perfectly conveys what all of us feel like when our submissions aren't being published. :D

crazyzm BRONZE said...
on Feb. 25 2014 at 12:00 pm
crazyzm BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
3 articles 7 photos 38 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I hated every moment of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.'"
-Muhammad Ali

After she writes this, she gets published. Lol the irony. I hope I can get my photographs published soon though.

twizz98 GOLD said...
on Nov. 27 2013 at 8:30 pm
twizz98 GOLD, Minden, Nevada
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I feel the same way! i have published many pieces and still nothing!

KatsK DIAMOND said...
on May. 3 2012 at 6:39 pm
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota
57 articles 0 photos 301 comments

Favorite Quote:
Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

I really want to get published soon, but I don't know how. Each time I submit a piece, I think that maybe this one will be it. Then in the middle of the month, there is no happy TeenInk email. I don't know what to do. If someone could rate/ look at my work, if they honestly want to, that would be great.

on Mar. 8 2012 at 10:35 am
beautifulspirit PLATINUM, Alpharetta, Georgia
35 articles 0 photos 1398 comments

Favorite Quote:
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
--Eleanor Roosevelt

I know how you feel...many a time I have felt like beating my head asking the wall, asking myself, "What do you want?" But then I realize that the rejection is not necessarily a bad thing--it just makes me want to work harder. 

on Nov. 4 2011 at 12:55 am
IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other
41 articles 0 photos 650 comments

Favorite Quote:
‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

I like this article. And, boy, I know this feeling!

Jane3 SILVER said...
on Oct. 26 2011 at 9:16 pm
Jane3 SILVER, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
8 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The capital-T truth is about life BEFORE death. It is about the real value of a real education, which has almost nothing to do with knowledge, and everything to do with simple awareness; awareness of what is so real and essential, so hidden in plain sight all around us, all the time, that we have to keep reminding ourselves over and over: this is water. This is water.”

I definitley agree with this article, you canliterally "pour your heart and soul into it" and not even get a comment from people its so tough! You just need to make friends on the site I guess to check out and rate eachothers work, then more people can appriceate your efforts!

on Jul. 1 2011 at 8:06 am
SideEffects_Of_a_Bad_Day, Columbus, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
I guess the break of society is attractive to people with absolutely no sociel skills; because while you might have to spend the rest of your life runnign away from slavering creatures, at least the big boys will never kick you down the stairs again.

Can somebody help me? I submited two pieces about 4 weeks ago, but still haven't even heard a denial. Do any of you know wats going on?

on Oct. 9 2010 at 5:58 pm
ThatBlondGuy SILVER, Mableton, Georgia
5 articles 1 photo 69 comments
I read this letter to the editor in Teen Ink magazine and had to track you down because I could sympathize so much with you. (Also because I felt like the editor kind of slammed you down. "Patience is a virtue. Congrats! Here's your first piece in print!" That was cruel, sardonic, and just immature.) Sometimes I think Teen Ink just covers its eyes and chooses its submissions at random, because I've been working for months to get published with no result. E-mail me ANYTIME you want critique for your writing or if you'd just like to share it with anyone.

JessieB SILVER said...
on Sep. 20 2010 at 3:27 pm
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland
7 articles 1 photo 102 comments

Favorite Quote:
an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind~Ghandi

Ironic isn't it? The one article you write about how frustrating it is to be published is published. I'm half tempted to do the same, because I have the exact problem as you, it seems like my writing isn't good enough even though I've seen some other articles that show little talent. It's a tab bit weird.

great essay though, I completely agree with you. (:

 


on Sep. 19 2010 at 9:33 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Great article and I agree with you. What you also have to realize is that so many people submit to this magazine and want to get published so they have a lot of submissions to read so you should be thankful that they even read your articles, but I do agree with and see what you're saying.  I'm sure more of your articles will get published if you are patient and don't give up. Congratulations on getting this article published.

on Sep. 19 2010 at 8:55 pm
the_remedy292 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
4 articles 1 photo 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Write as a gift to others."-John Green

You know, it's kiind of ironic that this got published. Maybe it was done to prove a point? Anyway, I'm sure your writing is beautiful. Keep it up!

on Sep. 16 2010 at 8:17 pm
Katie_Grey DIAMOND, Leipsic, Ohio
58 articles 10 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
Difficult is not impossible - Relient K, "Hope for Every Fallen Man"


If all I had was love, would I still be lovely?
If all I gave was love, would you give up on me?
-House of Heroes, "Love is for the Middle Class"

I completely understand how you feel! And of all the things for them to publish, they publish an email you sent them, right? It's frustrating!