Mulan: Just Another Princess | Teen Ink

Mulan: Just Another Princess MAG

By Kevin Kuan BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
Kevin Kuan BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

In “Mulan: Just Another Princess,” Michelle K. expresses her views on the Disney movie, calling it racist and sexist. She cites scenes including when Shang finds out that Ping (Mulan disguised as a man) is actually a girl, saying “his stupid male ego breaks on impact.”

However, I have a different view. “Mulan” is not sexist, in my opinion. She dresses like a man because women were not allowed to serve in the military; if she hadn't worn a disguise, she would never have been able to be a Disney heroine. Michelle claims that Mulan's most celebrated victory is not saving her country from invasion, but marrying Shang. This is a very interesting point when viewing it from our era. But given that in the movie's time, men were the dominant sex, I think “Mulan” actually shows women rising up and taking a rightful, respectable position in society.
I do not think “Mulan” is racist either. The way the Asian characters are depicted is probably not fueled by racism, but rather the artist's style. Accusing the film of being racist based on a style of drawing is wrong.

Instead of looking for hidden negative themes in Disney movies, I think people should focus on its message. For example, “Beauty and the Beast” is about inner beauty, whereas “Pocahontas” shows that two very different cultures can get along. I don't believe that Disney is trying to insult anyone, but trying to spread a universal message – a good one.

BloglessBlogger GOLD, Somerset, California

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep keep you from playing the game."

True, but not all the princesses are like that...

theartgeek97 SILVER, Greenville, South Carolina
Yeah, it was pretty mis-leading, but the point of the article was to express her opinion and...that was her opinion, even if it wasn't correct or reseached.  What really bothered me was that she didn't even reseach about the time period and how women were viewed in that time. That really would have affected her opinion of the movie I think. :)

CalvinWu SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
I can't believe TeenInk even published that junk in the first place.

Thank you!!!  When I read that article that is exactly what I was thinking!!!