No Longer Normal | Teen Ink

No Longer Normal MAG

By Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

We're ants crawling through little crevices; we're butterflies flitting from leaf to leaf; we're mice scurrying across the floor after their prey.

It is inevitable.

The average teenager will be on Facebook right now, updating his or her status, writing on the walls of friends. And I am here, typing these words, transmitting them from my brain to paper to Teen Ink.

Which is when the hunt is on.

Suddenly, I am on the edge of my seat, awaiting that fateful e-mail that will tell me my story or novel or poem has been approved. What happened to lazing through life? What happened to the need to have more?

I am content as I scour Teen Ink's forums, such a wonderfully crafted place to be. I can't go a day without visiting – it is my center of attraction.

We're all doing it, those of us who like to write. We're all looking for feedback, looking to get our work out there. We're all a little scared when our story is on the web – such an amazing tool these days.

We're all a little happy.

Why am I suddenly comparing myself to an ant or a butterfly or a mouse? It's your fault, Teen Ink editor. I am no longer normal, and yet I'm glad not to be.

I thank you tremendously.

I had to give something in return. :)

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

Hey, congrats on getting in the magazine! I totally agree--it's almost laughable how much I look forward to my approved submissions from TeenInk, and I do feel as though it somehow renders me different, exotic, perhaps. Unique. I think you captured it perfectly.

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

I just read this in the mag (literally, lol) and I especially loved this letter. Garnet, I've always loved the pieces I've read of yours, so congrats on finally getting one published. Like shygirl said, it was well-deserved :)

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

Awesomeness :) Well-deserving of it's editors' choice rating, I can see why.