Dumpster Divers | Teen Ink

Dumpster Divers

By jason hostettler BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
jason hostettler BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

In the selection of “Steps in the Right Direction,” the speaker buys a new pair of shoes and finds out that she is helping a third-world country person who does not have a pair of shoes. The buyers not only like the shoes, but they feel good by helping somebody out.

I loved the selection because it explains that when this person (the author) buys a pair of shoes, the shoe company donates a pair of shoes to a third world country where kids are at high risk of infections from cuts from debris on the ground. Also, by doing this the kids who don’t have shoes cannot attend school, so it helps them not only have a pair of shoes and it also allows them to experience their first and educational opportunity. I agree strongly with this selection and how the author feels about her/himself. I myself cannot necessarily relate to this because I have never bought or donated anything to help someone of such a great cause. It’s interesting and I like how it works. Yes, I was kind of surprised. I do occasionally see this dilemma in my town where people help others out and donate such as coats for Christmas or the pack a bus food drive.