Dumpster Divers | Teen Ink

Dumpster Divers

October 27, 2011
By jason hostettler BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
jason hostettler BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Dumpster divers is about freegans or vegans who are free of waste or not reusing. They are real reusers and enviromentalists. Everything they do is economically helpful because they trade things over craigslist and don’t just get rid of things like other normal Americans.

The author's comments:
I was actually really surprised about this selection because I have heard of people dumpster diving and the way they do it is completely different. Normally, you would think of a homeless person doing it in which they have no choice to for no job, money, home, and no way of getting food, supplies for everyday living such as a coat or shoes or a hat and even material goods like radios bags and what not to just carry things around. Instead it’s a group of people who chose to dumpster dive to be economically secure. Freegans, which is a form of vegans but the difference is they don’t eat just vegetable like vegans, are free of doing harm to the earth. I do agree with this, but personally it’s not me so I would not do it but if that is their choice then be my guest. In a way I do and don’t understand why they do it I mean if you have everything u need then why reduce that, but at the same time I understand why they do it and that reason is for the economy and money. In a way they are protesting in a different way other than signs down on wall street and in front of the white house. I do not see this dilemma in Ayersville and nor do i think i will ever see it in Ayersville.