The Quiz | Teen Ink

The Quiz

By ShelbyShea34 BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts
ShelbyShea34 BRONZE, Oak Bluffs, Massachusetts

"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself."

At first glance, “The Quiz”, by “Sally”, caught my attention by only it’s length. Sitting there in black in white text, with no artwork, no shading around it, not even the author’s full name. The only thing close to eye catching is the fact it takes up nearly half a page, but with no other article really peaking my interest, I began to read. I was surprised to find myself completely emotionally invested in this girls highs and lows, excitements and struggles, as she tries to deal with her fear of having a disorder. I was lucky enough to experience her moment of truth; taking a test, to find out if her suspicions are true... If she has a disorder.

To me, reading this made me feel like Sally was just an old friend of mine. She’d clearly been through so much struggle, and she really made me feel like I had been there for all of it. The point is that “The Quiz” was a really effective piece, consisting of a relatable narrator, nearly laughable flashbacks, and an inspirational story of taking hold of even the things we can’t control. Was reading a few extra paragraphs worth the content inside? Yeah, it most definitely was. “The Quiz” was absolutely genius, and for that, I would like to thank the author, for putting my life into perspective for me.