Remnant | Teen Ink

Remnant

September 19, 2013
By Anonymous

Although people mature, age, and eventually outgrow their habits of childhood, Tiffany Lam’s memoir, titled “Remnant”, vividly describes how memories of the past always remain, and how we struggle to release the nostalgic stories of our younger days. Tiffany’s worn, gray stuffed rabbit was once the apple of her eye, the ruler among her other toys, until slowly it was forgotten and became just another abandoned trinket. It fell to the status of an “undignified peasant”, simply another lost toy in a sea of others.

But was it truly a lost memory?

In Tiffany’s case, the answer is no. Although the stuffed animal is a “relic of the past”, she cannot let go of the reflections of the past it holds, the reminiscent recollections it yields. She cannot find a way to discard a part of her childhood, and this illustration of a formerly beloved toy beautifully demonstrates that this is true regardless of age, growth, and maturity. Her specific word choice and writing style further display her point. Phrases such as “I’d crown you” and “undignified peasant” paint a vivid picture in the reader’s mind that firmly establishes how Tiffany’s rabbit was at first prized, but was gradually forgotten until it was merely a distant memory.

I find that because this memoir establishes a connection between childhood and maturity, it is relatable to many others, including myself. I, too, was emotionally attached to a beloved toy in the past. Not unlike Tiffany’s situation, it was a symbol of the bond between a former friend and me. Although we gradually grew apart over time, the twin stuffed bears that I believe we still both possess remind us of the wonderful times of the past. I can never truly forget my friend, because, like Tiffany, I have a symbol to represent our friendship and memories. The emotional impact this piece was able to have one me and the connection that can be made to many people’s lives further demonstrates that Tiffany’s memoir is one that is worthy of praise.