Best Thing For Children? | Teen Ink

Best Thing For Children?

By hazeleyes_95 BRONZE, Fairfield, Pennsylvania
hazeleyes_95 BRONZE, Fairfield, Pennsylvania

Right now in the United States, there are extreme pressures to redefine the meaning of
matrimony. Specifically, Pennsylvania is being sued by the federal government because it has
not changed its laws to legalize same-sex marriage. Marriage has an enormous impact on society,
as well as an individual’s well being, so its definition should not be taken lightly.

According to the ACLU homosexual couples are just as loving and committed as heterosexual
couples. They believe gays should have equal opportunities in everything, including marriage.
However, can homosexual couples offer the diversity heterosexual couples offer?

For example, observe a father and a mother on the playground. What do you often hear? The
father is probably encouraging the child to climb higher and run faster, whereas the mother is
usually cautioning the child to be careful and not get hurt. In addition, fathers are more focused
on doing things with their children while mothers are typically more concerned with
communicating. According to Kyle D. Pruett, author of The Nurturing Father, “Father love and
mother love are qualitatively different kinds of love.”

In extreme, either kind of love can be damaging. An abundance of motherly affection and
protection may cause children to be timid and stunt their confidence and growth as human
beings. On the other hand, a plethora of being pushed to take risks may cause children to leap
without considering the consequences. It takes both a mother and a father to create a healthy
balance for a child to be brave and bold but not foolish.

Simply put, marriage impacts the people around you. Parents play a major role in their
children’s outcome. If marriage is redefined in Pennsylvania, deliberately depriving children of
either a mother or a father, how could this be best for the children?

The purpose of this letter to the editor is simply get them thinking about the con side of homosexuality.

Lisas.Smile GOLD, London, Other

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
― William W. Purkey

I also like this quote by Gnarls Barkley:
"You are the best. You are the worst. You are average. Your love is a part of you. You try to give it away because you cannot bear its radiance, but you cannot separate it from yourself. To understand your fellow humans, you must understand why you give them your love. You must realize that hate is but a crime-ridden subdivision of love. You must reclaim what you never lost. You must take leave of your sanity, and yet be fully responsible for your actions." -Gnarls Barkley, in a letter to the legendary rock critic Lester Bangs

"However, can homosexual couples offer the diversisty heterosexual couples offer?" Absoultly, yes. You've based this article on sterotyping and assumptions and have no scientific evidene supporting your claims thus they are invalid. All studies in the area in question have, while being admitedly small, never   shown that children of LGBT couples are worse of than children off heterosexuals. Finally legalising gay marriage is an issue of legal equality,  whether or not homosexual couples make good parents is irrelevent as they can already become parents and there is no rule that in order to marry you must have children, there's no guarantee that married gay couples will chose to raise kids anyway.

butterflybee123 SILVER, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

"I write because I want more than one life; I insist on a wider selection. It's greed plain and simple. When my characters join the circus, I'm joining the circus." -Anne Tyler

Thanks for looking! :)

Thank you Protoblues, for pointing out that the void that comes with only having one parent is often filled by those outside the immediate family. What a good thing to remember!!

Dear Nyoman, I want to thank you for being honest with me in your opinion about my article. In response to your saying single parents are screwed I want to respectfully disagree. Most single parents do not choose to be single parents, but often single parenthood comes as a result of divorce, death or unplanned pregnancy. Laws which deliberately deprive children of one gender are a different story. Because of this, I still think that children should have a father and a mother whenever possible, to raise them. I am glad that we can voice our opinions here and hope that this is helpful. J

Also I should add that the article that I was using was in my local paper and I could not find it in the archives. 

butterflybee123, I am so sorry but I have not been able to locate the article.  I wrote this a few months ago and have googled a few things and have had no sucess.  However, I hope this will not hinder you from personally looking into the matter. I appreciate you having an open mind to my opinion, even though it differs from yours. :) ~hazeleyes_95

This is one of the first times I have heard a point of view on gay marriage like yours, and it is interesting. However, I really agree with Nyoman. Your article was written concisely, with strategically placed questions. I was just wondering what case in PA you were talking about, with the federal government suing the state. Could you post a link to your source?

lkk4209 BRONZE said...
lkk4209 BRONZE, Somewhere, Massachusetts

"April Fool's Day is for amateurs. You never need an excuse to mess with people's heads."

"I may be lying in the gutter, but I'm staring up at the stars, honey."

I second that!

Protoblues BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
-Winston Churchill

I have to agree. I have always believed that a child needs the different sides of a parental partnership: the motherly side and the fatherly side. I think, though, there is a fundamental difference with single parents. These parents realize something is missing, I believe, and so they temper their love to appeal to both sides, though many times a figure outside of the immediate family supplies the missing part. The same could be said for same-sex marriages, but I still believe that one man and one woman will always be the true and eternal meaning of marriage, and no government can change that.

MissyStokes BRONZE, VIENNA, Virginia

Fear is like happiness but the smile is wider

If thats true then all children with single parents are screwed, which I don't belive is true. Even without this evidence I don't think this article is accurate. Try talking to actual homosexuals and their children.

Godmessenger123 BRONZE, Clermont, Florida
I agree with you !!