Feedback - "Simple Things" | Teen Ink

Feedback - "Simple Things"

January 16, 2014
By Anonymous

I prefer the simple things, as well. This is the answer to the question that Eric Mathews asked at the end of his Points of View piece, “Simple Things.” Eric asked, “I prefer the simple things. Doesn’t anyone else?” You’re not alone, Eric.

In his article, he lists questions such as, “When’s the last time you and a friend talked about the meaning of a book?” and “Can someone tell me when teens stopped talking on the phone all night and started texting until we fell asleep?” Eric seems like the only one that would rather have the simple things.

Technology has definitely altered our society. Movies – movies are watched instead of books being read, and movies are watched with 3-D glasses. Communication – texting instead of speaking on the phone. Even music – Jay-Z (as Eric used as an example) uses technology, more than Elvis Presley.

Teenage lifestyle has changed. Teenagers have started wearing their hats backwards and saying things like “swag” and “yolo.” Life has just gotten complicated in general.

Eric expresses his curiosity for why life has gotten like this. I, as well as Eric, would rather have simple things. I’m not saying that technology is unnecessary; it is. But it has taken too much control. As he said, laughter is better than reading “lol.” He looks at the bigger picture – technology has taken over teenagers’ lives. But even smaller, more irrelevant things, like sarcasm, take a negative effect due to technology. Sarcastic remarks aren’t portrayed as intended in text messages.

Why can’t we just have the simple things?