Feedback on Bubbles | Teen Ink

Feedback on Bubbles

November 5, 2014
By Ishai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Ishai SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

"Bubbles," a hauntingly beautiful haiku by Tara Troiano, had an intensely powerful meaning. In just three short lines and 17 syllables, she calls to attention one of the most defining moments in a young person's life. Her metaphorical approach to coming of age makes me cringe in its reality. Her simple yet strikingly effective words make me think about how maturing into adulthood is not only a physical experience, but a change in how one sees the world. It moves from viewing the world as a place where everybody is happy to looking upon society and seeing instead some of the terrible things that occur- such as poverty and violence.
In the poem, she says that she was “unaware yet/blissful.” Ms. Toriano describes the sense of false security that many kids have about the world around them, using the metaphor that they are in a “bubble.” She ends the poem by saying, “Now, I’ve popped.” By this she means that her safety “bubble” has vanished, and in its place is a true understanding of what goes on in the places that we live. Ms. Toriano does an excellent job of quickly explaining a key moment in entering adulthood, and making readers almost scared for when that moment will come. This brief yet forceful poem will definitely not be forgotten by anyone who has the privilege to read it.