Feedback on "Silent Speech" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Silent Speech"

By sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York
sophiea1025 PLATINUM, New York City, New York

"Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter." Dr. Seuss

I find the piece “Silent Speech” by Tennessee Hill poignant and moving. It portrays a relationship between brother and sister, one that is untouched by the disability Tennessee’s brother faces: deafness. In fact, their bond is strengthened as they share a unique form of communication. Sign language is a way for the siblings to speak to each other without making noise, and it may be more powerful than speech.
       Tennessee's natural flow and writing style is engaging from the start. She paints her layered relationship perfectly, capturing both the lighthearted teasing and deep affection shared between the siblings. One passage I find especially moving is, “I love you. It’s the same love I feel when those words are spoken aloud. It feels just as sweet in the form of two fingers and a thumb.” Tennessee Hill creates an exceptional piece in a small word count. It keeps me thinking long after the last sentence. I thank Tennessee for sharing with us her love for her brother and letting us into a snapshot of her life.