Review on "American Women" | Teen Ink

Review on "American Women"

December 4, 2014
By cierra.monique SILVER, Staten Island, New York
cierra.monique SILVER, Staten Island, New York
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All we ever see or seem is but a dream within a dream"


The poem "American Women" by Naomi Hall is thought-provoking piece that discusses the hypocrisy of American women. Naomi talks about how we look down upon the cultural attire of Middle Eastern females, yet we too conform the dominance to men. This piece is very eye-opening and made me think twice about the degradation that girls just like me go through on a daily basis.

What I loved most about this piece was the poet's blunt description of female American culture. "we are American women/with teenage daughters/who wake up and consciously decide/to wear five inches of denim across their hips/and cotton fabric that bares their midriff." This line is so simple and honest but still conveys such a deep message. Who are we to judge Middle Eastern women when we dress to the satisfaction of males, too? The minimalistic style of this poem adds to the experience rather than detracting from it. Each line, similar to the ones above, stands out boldly. This combination of social commentary and skillful writing makes "American Women" an amazingly memorable piece.