Feedback on "Dear Jane," | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Dear Jane,"

By ariel___ GOLD, New York, New York
ariel___ GOLD, New York, New York

"In seventh grade, we traded our braces," is the beginning of the powerful poem, "Dear Jane," by Alice Deng, Ann Harbor, MI. Although it may seem simple, this is just the first line to a friendship described on paper. The author depicts the narrator's friendship with Jane part by part, starting from trading braces to walking down the sidewalk in their mothers' heels and to wanting to growing up and be beautiful. The narrator mentions how they wanted Jane to realize that there was nothing wrong with her when she pinched her belly unhappily. This poem is such an inspiring and encouraging piece of writing for young girls all over the world, and I love the positive message that it provokes.
           The third stanza begins with, "You liked to pinch the side of your belly, frowning at the little piece of humanness gathered between your fingertips." This one line is my favorite line in the poem. It holds a much deeper meaning than is let on at first, and as the remainder of the poem develops, the reader grasps the overall lesson. It is evident that the author is trying to convey a positive message about loving yourself and not worrying about your body. One of the most inspirational lines of the poem is in the last stanza, "You forget that you're pinching a piece of yourself. Why get rid of it when it's just you?" This line holds the weight of the message being expressed by the author, and it is a motivating poem, especially for young girls who shouldn't be dismayed because of their bodies. I love this poem for being so uplifting because it is showing people everywhere that you have to have confidence and love yourself just the way you are.