A Different View | Teen Ink

A Different View

By NSchubert SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
NSchubert SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

"It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me."

I didn’t agree with the article “’Why I Hated ‘The Fault in Our Stars,’” by Emily Garber.  I understand why she didn’t like the movie.  Her father was diagnosed with brain cancer and it ultimately got worse for her as her father slowly drifted away and became angrier with her.  It probably does suck to have a parent who can’t walk or talk and yells at you more and ultimately passes away.  It’s never happened to me, but I can see why she wouldn’t like the movie because of her experiences.  But when you look at the movie, I think that the only true people who can understand the movie are the people who have been in Hazel’s place. 

Look at the situation like this:  Hazel has gotten the news that she’s probably going to die in the near future.  She’s not going to grow old with anyone and that makes her depressed and makes her just feel alone in the world.  But then she meets Augustus.  He turns her life around and pretty much makes her happy to be alive.  And then suddenly, that one person is gone, anyone would be pretty sad if that happened to him or her in real life.

If people didn’t like the movie, I’m perfectly fine with that.  It’s totally okay to have your own opinion on everything in this world.  But if you only dislike the book/movie because you feel you experienced worse, then look at the story like that.  The characters do go through depressing times, and it makes for a sad story. But that sad story is also a very good story to experience.