Why I Hated “The Fault in Our Stars” | Teen Ink

Why I Hated “The Fault in Our Stars” MAG

By Shauna Stout BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Shauna Stout BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

Emily G.’s “Why I Hated ‘The Fault In Our Stars’” was about her disgust of the glorification of cancer by the movie based on John Green’s famed teen romance. I definitely support Emily’s reaction to the movie. It glorified a deadly ailment, thus removing empathy for its sufferers. Why make a serious disease in need of attention some sort of cheesy cash cow for big media executives under the ploy of some existential revolution of ideals and feel-good one-liners people can quote when feeling masochistic on social media? It’s almost as if people are becoming desensitized to the horrors of cancer.

In Green’s book, he afflicted the characters with cancer to give the story an air of urgency, morbidity, and solemnity so it’s separated from other faux-deep teen romance novels. This lame ploy to make money from the tumultuous feelings of teen girls is like a very thin layer of smoke, and I’ve opened a window to clear it up.

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

You have a very powerful voice, as Ray--yo said, but I cannot agree with your point of view. Yes, the book discusses cancer patients. Yes, John Green made money on the book. By the way, have we mentioned that the focus of the book is on two very special people and their relationship, not on their sickness? To quote the book/movie, "No, not your cancer story. Your real story." John Green made money off of this because (1) he is an incredibly talented writer, and (2) this book tells the beautiful story of two young people finding true love in the midst of hardship. That is a message that resonates with people. Now, my hardship is not your hardship is not their hardship. Does that really minimize the significance of cancer, or in your words, glorify it? I think that on the contrary, this book has raised awareness for the horrible tragedy that is cancer. He does not tiptoe around this subject, case in point being Caroline, Gus's late girlfriend. This books fosters empathy, exactly opposite to what you have said. I feel like we read two very different books... assuming we've both actually read the book, not just watched the movie.

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

and by voice I mean your tone, if it was not clear. Once again, awesome writing.

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)

Wow, you have such a strong voice. Congratulations on the publication!