Feedback on "Wilson, the Princess" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Wilson, the Princess"

By GenericScreenName BRONZE, Queens, New York
GenericScreenName BRONZE, Queens, New York

The piece written by "Allie," titled "Wilson, the Princess," discusses conventional gender stereotypes.  In preschool, the author's best friend was a boy named Wilson, who preferred to participate in activities that would typically be considered feminine.  When they were young, people were tolerant of these Wilson's actions; he was just a kid.  Once you are older, society enforces the belief that persons of certain genders should act a certain way.  Those who do not conform are punished.  The author's perspective makes the article insightful and interesting.

I think part of why I like this article is because it is contemplative.  The author can only reflect on past events, but she does so honestly, and I find it nice that she still cares despite how much time has passed.  "Allie" writes, "I am very much a female, and I identify as one.  But because of that, I'm told everything about me has to be feminine, feminine, feminine.  And it's very annoying."  Some people do not understand that thing like gender are not always concrete and definite.  Maybe it's a spectrum.  Maybe individuals of different genders can have common interests.  I can understand the author's frustration with such beliefs being enforced but not questioned and understood.  I like that the article is unlike a rant and find this approach refreshing.