Feeback on "Through James's Eyes" | Teen Ink

Feeback on "Through James's Eyes"

By skylilly SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
skylilly SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

The piece about the way a girl’s older brother that has down syndrome affected the way she views the world expressed in “Through James’s Eyes” by Catherine Evans, has deeply touched me. Even though James has Down syndrome, he never let that hinder him living out his life to the fullest and that is truly admirable. This man doesn’t have the privileges that most people take for granted, however he only focuses on his goals, which one of them are owning his own cat. His sister, Catherine, has benefitted by being able to call him brother. She has learned to not judge someone by their appearance, take the simple things in life for granted, and look at bad things, only to see the good in them. James can be an inspiration to many people because he takes small acts of defiance to prove that his “disadvantage” in life will never actually take him down.
This editorial personally affected me by opening my eyes to the life of a man with Down syndrome. Before I read this publication, I thought that people with these disadvantages lived lives where no one truly understood them and a life filled with unwanted whispers and stares. However, that is one of the most untrue statement in history. Of course because of their physical  appearance, the whisper and stares will be there, but as James demonstrated, he reveled in the attention and spun it in a way that showed people that James was a kind hearted person. As stated in the piece, “Through James’s Eyes,” “My brother has shown me how to see the world through his eyes, and in James’s eyes, everyday is beautiful.”