Italy vs. USA | Teen Ink

Italy vs. USA

By KathrynKit BRONZE, Alvord, Texas
KathrynKit BRONZE, Alvord, Texas

Being Italian is a massive part of my family’s makeup. My mother is full Italian and my father is close but with just a tad of German, Indian, and French. I myself take pride of being an Italian, but after reading “Italy vs. USA” I felt as maybe I haven’t truly lived as one.

Growing up as an American, I never put a lot of thought into it; the main reason Italy was so famous was for their food. I naturally thought “Yes, of course they eat this kind of pizza and pasta in Italy.” But, I’ve never thought of the way we eat Italian food as “Americanized.”  Now, I look at Italy and see they take their time making the food perfect and making every detail just right. In America, everything’s about time and getting things done fast. No wonder we have so many fast food places to choose from.

Evanston states, “I can’t go back to Americanized dishes.” I know I could eat our own versions of Italian food my whole life and never be tired of them. That makes me wonder how amazing real Italian food is! I dream of the day I can taste the true Italian foods from Italy itself. I can’t wait to find out what it’s like to be a true Italian.

This is my response to the October 2016 article.