Feedback on "Here's To Acceptance" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Here's To Acceptance"

By disphxrial SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
disphxrial SILVER, Brooklyn, New York

"Here's To Acceptance" by Meha Srivastav is a phenomenal piece talking about LGBTQ opinions in Indian and Asian cultures. She starts off by explaining how being a part of the community puts you in danger of discrimination. Also, she talks about how nerve-wracking it can be to come out to your family members. Not everyone is a supporter of the LGBTQ community. We're afraid to disappoint our parents or have them think of us differently. It's saddening how people fear for their safety just because they're being themself.

This can relate to many teens in this generation. While this may not pertain to me, many people can understand what the people in this peice have gone through. As I said before, it's scary to think that we can disappoint our parents by being ourselves. Srivastav quoted a boy from her high school who said, "I'd be afraid of being a disappointment to them and not living up to their expectations, and that's something that's common with all Asian families." Overall, this piece does an amazing job explaining the struggles of being a part of the LGBTQ community and relating to teens of this generation.