Feedback on "Writing an Essay an Hour Before It's Due" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Writing an Essay an Hour Before It's Due"

September 25, 2017
By kristenjwang SILVER, NY, New York
kristenjwang SILVER, NY, New York
8 articles 0 photos 5 comments

On a Sunday night, I picked up Teen Ink's September issue for a school assignment and got comfortable on my living room couch. As I flipped through the pages of the magazine rapidly, I thought, So many pieces to choose from, just not any for me until I encountered "Writing an Essay an Hour Before It's Due" by Zoe Matthews. This choice of mine accurately portays a true procrastinator doing what they do best: procrastinating, and in addition, Zoe gives us procrastinators reasons not to be ashamed of ourselves for being victims of this addicting habit.

More in depth, in "Writing an Essay an Hour Before It's Due," Zoe Matthews shares an experience where she is assigned an essay given to her twenty-two days prior to its due date. It's 9 PM on the 21st and she hasn't even started her essay yet! Though, when, for a moment, she's finally overcome with a sense of responsibilty and decides to do her assignment, that sense of responsibility fades away because an episode of Jane the Virgin pops up on her Netflix page. Argh! She ends up giving up to temptation and watches the episode, but that's not all; she binge-watches shows on Netflix until 5 AM the next day! Anyway, as the title conveys, Zoe finishes this essay an hour before it was due (god bless),but she also brings up a good point that gives some approval to procrastination: Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King Jr. both re-wrote their speeches, the "Gettysburg Address" and the "I Have a Dream" speech, respectively, at the last minute, yet their speeches are considered to be some of the greatest in history.