Feedback on What Not to Wear | Teen Ink

Feedback on What Not to Wear

October 17, 2017
By Lucy_RK GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Lucy_RK GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
13 articles 1 photo 13 comments

Morgan C. just exposed exactly what I have been feeling for the past few years at my school. The feeling that you are in the wrong thing because your shorts don’t go past the knee. The feeling that you are the one to blame when the school says you are wearing the wrong clothes. The feeling that the dress code is somehow your fault.

“What Not to Wear,” published in the October issue of Teen Ink is an article about school dress codes. One of the reasons why I liked this piece is because I can relate. When I was in sixth grade, I made my mom buy me new shorts so I wouldn’t get dress coded. (But they still didn’t actually fit the dress code.) By the time it was seventh grade, however, I had grown out of those shorts. Luckily, it wasn’t a problem for me because most of the teacher didn’t care that much.

“What Not to Wear” also discusses the idea that these dress codes were set in place because of sexist rules. Boys supposedly get “distracted” by girls’ bare skin. Girls, therefore, have to change their attire to fit someone else’s needs. This is crazy and not fair.

I think that Morgan did an excellent job on capturing what many girls face. Being shamed for choice of clothing is messed up and should be changed.