How is Writing Top Voted On the Website and Chosen for the Magazine? | Teen Ink

How is Writing Top Voted On the Website and Chosen for the Magazine?

By WritingAddict03 SILVER, Saint Peters , Missouri
WritingAddict03 SILVER, Saint Peters , Missouri

Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

Dear Editor, 

A few weeks ago, my English teacher gave me a great gift: she introduced me to Teen Ink. As an avid reader and writer, this website is truly a blessing. Everyone's writing is profoundly meaningful and inspirational; all of the talented contributors and their writing inspire me in my mundane, everyday life as well as in my own writing and compositions. It is my greatest wish to affect others with my own writing as others have affected me with theirs, with the ultimate goal of publication in the Teen Ink magazine in mind. 

However, I am confused as to how my work would be chosen for the magazine, should that ever come about. I have heard tell that readers rate and vote the work they enjoy most on the website, and then the most popular are featured in the magazine. If this is true, I would like to know how to vote, but some have told me that the work published is soley the work that the editors most prefer. I've even heard that readers' input is used only for determining the top voted work on the website.

I feel that all of this is a source of confusion not just for myself, but for others as well; I would appreciate it if you would clarify for us: How is work chosen for the Teen Ink print magazine and top voted on the website, and if this is reader's choice, how can we get involved?

Please take a look at my other work! Your comments and feedback are always welcome and incouraged!!

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

It's about time someone asked this question, so thank you! They do not respond to our letters online. If they choose to publish this letter, they might respond in the print magazine. The 'top voted' thing does not work (well) in Teen Ink. Many years ago, we had a 5 star voting system, where maybe it worked, but not now with the whole 'loved it/made me cry' thing they've got going. Recently submitted articles randomly seem to appear as 'Top Voted', sometimes without a single fellow writer 'voting'. Also, the pieces that get published are chosen solely by the editors as far as I can tell. The themes, however, often correspond to what teens might be currently interested in. All the best!

Seeing as the editor did not deem it suitable to bestow upon me the answers to my questions, please comment if you have any clue as to the how the above comes about. Thanks so much!(Seriously, how could they NOT answer my question? IT'S ALL THE ARTICLE IS ABOUT!!!!)