Nothing But Normal | Teen Ink

Nothing But Normal

By Isabella_Mora BRONZE, Fontana, California
Isabella_Mora BRONZE, Fontana, California

In this lovely day and age when you can only get noticed it you are broken, or beautiful or have some hardship in your life that adds dimension to your personality. Where eating disorders are joked about, and depression is slept off. Where all you have to do is walk down to your local smoke shop for a fix and do a quick google search to know someone before actually ever meeting them. Unfortunately, not all of us are the main characters in young adult novels so where does it leave us normal people. The first problem is I don’t think anyone really classifies themselves as normal. We are all so called weirdos who never take their beanies off or become a completely different person behind closed walls with their best friends. But I hate to break it to you these are completely average qualities that make you nothing more than mundane. Everyone makes some weird noises and scrunched up faces when a less then funny joke is cracked by your bestie, and we wear hats every day to avoid grooming ourselves. The word weird really is just a social construct just like everything else in your perfectly normal lives. Normal is a construct as well just based on opinions that can never be agreed upon by everyone, after all we are humans and our brains were wired so that when it comes down to you and me no matter how much I love Billy he is still falling off a cliff while I run to safety. Now back to the main topic how do I get noticed if I’m normal and yes I know I just contradicted myself by saying I was normal after arguing the point that normal is a social construct but I believe we can all agree I am no more then average. I come from a middle-class family I weigh a normal amount no synched waists or flat stomachs. I’m intelligent I will give myself that one but when it comes down to talent, I only really have it for reading, talking, and writing. Sure, I can continue my so-called normal life join a few clubs, go to high school parties have a few secret boyfriends, pick up a few shifts at the local McDonalds. Get a degree in something completely useless, and earn a below average salary, stay in my hometown for the rest of my life, settle down have a few children, and completely neglect the one thing that I have talent in because it’s too risky. But I don’t really want to do that. What makes me stand out to people in a pool of competitors who can surely bring more interesting backgrounds to the table. What reason do people have to choose me? Well that’s something I don’t quite know yet. I’m relatively early in my journey to greatness and with some time and proper guidance I can get there. Everyone says you can’t do life alone, but I’ve done it so far and I think I’ve come out quite alright. That is why I’m here today to announce that from now on I will classify myself as nothing less them extraordinary. Even if you don’t see it in me now wait a few years, give me a few months, a few days even and I will prove to you that I am nothing but normal.

I was reading a novel I picked up at Target today Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid when this one line stood out to me in particular. "We love broken beautiful people." This is so completley true we all love a story about something that seemed hopeless but worked out anyway. No one pays attention to an averageley pretty person with no substantial hardships or money problems. I realized that I didn't want to be average anymore I wanted to be the best so I wrote this piece as a proclamation of just that.