Rainbows | Teen Ink

Rainbows

By dominicgeronimo BRONZE, Eleele, Hawaii
dominicgeronimo BRONZE, Eleele, Hawaii

Since the dawn of time, mother nature has graced us with many gifts. One of these gifts being the seven-colored arches in the sky that many of us see. As we see in the sky this fascinating phenomenon we smell the scent of rain and see the scattered puddles of water across the land, reflecting its beauty. These extravagant and inspiring colors in the sky are just one of the many gifts I associate with. Only up until recently we use this phenomenon as a symbol to one of the many gifts nature has given us. To understand what I am talking about, you have to think about the diversity of people in the aspects of gender and sexuality. This object is made of colored fabric inspired by the path that is said to lead to a pot of gold.

I am an individual who has used one these many objects to communicate to the masses an important part of my life. This object is held at the highest peak of a mountain, where it flows in the wind, displaying its corresponding colors to the gifts of nature, the people. Many of these people who are our friends, acquaintances and family, celebrate and use this object on a specific month every year. In this month like myself and many other unique individuals walk around wearing and holding up this beautiful symbol. We say meaningful phrases such as “love is love” and “equality for everyone”. We see this object on many things ranging from homes, cars, bedrooms, and clothing, These 2 phenomenons which nature has graced our society with have only recently combined into one.

It’s not that this phenomenon in nature is wrong because it’s in fact a gift from Mother Nature herself. This object, which is used to show the masses who some of us are as people. To represent the diversity of people in today’s society is the logo of one of the greatest communities out there who have been fighting for equality since the birth of mankind. Many of these people have held this object in protests for their rights as every human should have. It’s true to say this logo that I speak of is, is in my room, this very second being held with two pins on the wall. It is shaped like a rectangle and has seven colored stripes in horizontal alignment. I and many others believe that this object is a part of who we are. I am proud to say that it’s been surreal to be able to represent my community with such a thing.

I have always wanted to write a piece that would be about the representation in the LGBTQ+ community. Writing about pride month and the flag seemed like the best option to do so. I myself am a part of the community being transgender.