Why We Stand | Teen Ink

Why We Stand

September 8, 2021
By Anonymous

Generation after generation Americans have stood for the United States of America flag and Pledge of Allegence. The ultimate sacrifice is a soldier's pain and reality from their time in uniform. Standing for the flag unites every U.S. citizen together to honor those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. The American flag symbolizes history from our forefathers, soldiers, and U.S. citizens. 
The first American Flag was originally designed in 1775 when the 13 colonies were founded in North America. The three colors in the flag were strategically chosen; red expresses valor and strength, white exemplifies innocence and purity, and blue signifies justice, vigilance, and perseverance. Red, white, and blue colors embody past, current, and future U.S. troops. Soldiers have pledged and dedicated their lives to the United States of America military. As United States citizens we stand with a hand over heart for the Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem because our freedom was not given but earned by American troops. 
Standing for the flag shows a lot more respect than kneeling. Standing for the flag means that you stand for yourself, freedom, dignity, our forefathers, and the meaning of being a U.S. citizen. Kneeling does not, it is perceived one does not respect the history of our country. Genuflecting dishonors soldiers that fought for this country from their blood, sweat, tears, and discipline. Our veterans and peers deserve respect. Our ancestors made this country how it is today. Without our ancestors we would not be a free country. We would not be able to have the options we have today. Standing for the Pledge of Allegiance shows respect to the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice to make this country how it is today. Each part of the pledge represents how a true American citizen should act and live by the words. Our forefathers need all the respect we can give them because they paid the price for us to have this life. 
 
In 1892 the first Pledge of Allegiance was written. The pledge has been changed over 3 times but has the same meaning behind it. Understanding the foundation of the pledge allows us to break the pledge down and comprehend the meaning. Starting with the first part of the pledge, “I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,” means I promise to be loyal to the United States of America. The next line in the pledge “And to the republic for which it stands,” means that every citizen has their own power to choose what they want. Furthermore, “One nation, under God,” means united we will fight for our free country. Lastly, “Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all,” means as a U.S. citizen no one can divide us, and our beliefs, and everyone will be treated with respect. And this is why we stand for our nation's flag and The Pledge of Allegiance.