Women in the Middle East | Teen Ink

Women in the Middle East

June 16, 2009
By Anonymous

Being a young woman living in the United States I rarely have my rights being violated. Besides the occasional sexist policies of boys being stronger, better, faster, better at math and science and the breadwinners of a household. Nevertheless, women in America have worked hard to establish high positions of power that are examples to the younger generations of putting men as number one behind us have having equal rights. However, in some parts of the world the rise of women and men having equal or even close to equal rights are few and far between.

In some parts of the Middle East women are treated extremely unfairly. They have little to no say in what they can do, when they can do it, what they can wear, and even whom they can make eye contact with. According to the Koran, the Muslim holy book, women and men are seen as equal. Somehow, in some countries the inequality between men and women is astonishing. Women are not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia among other places. Most of the countries in the Middle East abide by the rule that women have to cover all skin, sometimes covering ever inch of their body from head to toe literally. Also there are very few women who are allowed to drive. The very intense aren’t even allowed to look another man in the eye other than their husband. Some of the harshest rule is on the women in Saudi Arabia, which is being closely followed by Afghanistan.
Unfortunately for the women there, they have to abide by these what is considered ridiculous in America, religious and normal restrictions there. However not all women in the Middle East are restricted to living a free and powerful life. In some countries they are allowed to vote, drive, hold political positions, and many other things that most women in the United States and the world get. The women in the Middle East should be seen as equals as women and men should at all times no matter where in the world they are. I believe that no matter what gender, sex, race, ethnic group, and sexuality, whatever that we should all be treated as equal. Because honestly what sets us apart anyway? The color of our skin? Our body features? We are all the same and should be treated like it. Women need to stick up for themselves and stay true to who they are and what they believe in, they deserve rights no matter where they live.