Get It Straight | Teen Ink

Get It Straight

By doverdrama SILVER, Dover, Delaware
doverdrama SILVER, Dover, Delaware

People have such a misconception of being popular. It's actually not a bad thing. Just because you're popular doesn't mean that you're rude to other people, or have a ton of money, or get into more trouble than the average teen. It's unfair to make opinions about that situation if you aren't popular.
I transferred to a public middle school in the 6th grade, from a Catholic, private school. I thought that everyone there would be like the girls from "Mean Girls", or everyone would be ghetto. I had no idea that almost 99% of the people there are the sweetest people you can imagine.
I was in the least popular groups for the 6th grade, and the beginning of the 7th grade year. Then, I got tired of everyone always dissing the popular people, so I moved to a different group. Our lunch room is divided up into popularity tables. There are all sorts of different people. I thought I knew how it would be to go a public school, but I was wrong. I thought that academically, it would be a sinch. I was dead wrong. I have to work harder at my new school than I did at my old shool. I was wrong about the people. The popular kids are actually the nicest people, not the stuck-up snobs I thought they would be.
In the last 4 months of the 7th grade, I started to hang out with the popular group of girls. I always felt so intimidated. I'm a little chubby, and I was always self-conscious about saying what I wanted to say. I was afraid of looking like an idiot. I thought that everyone would make fun of me if I spoke my mind. I was so stupid. Now I know that they're real friends.
I used to have a preconception that everyone would be self-centered and totally fake. I was also mistaken in that category. One day, about 2 months before the end of the school year, this girl was sitting all by herself. She looked so sad and alone. I was about to say something, but then it seemed like all of my friends were thinking the same thing. Before you knew it, I was walking over to her. I sat down across from her, and asked her if she would like to come sit at our table. She said yes, and it made me feel amazing that my friends were like me in caring about other people.
Another delusion people have is that popular people are back-stabbers. That is absolutely not true. My friends are with each-other through thick and thin. We may have our little tiffs, but we resolve those issues peacefully, and remain friends.
I am not considered popular by any means, but I know that my friends are. I love all of my friends, and they love me. I've never been talked about in a bad way, or had a fight with anyone. SO, to all the haters out there, get it straight.

People need to hear what it's like to have popular friends, from an actual friend. If you talk about how your popular friend are mean, then you're not a very good friend.

mplo said...
Many of the so-called "popular" people are really not popular at all! They're people who are insecure and have allowed themselves to be exploited by so-called "cool" or "popular" kids, just to fit in. Often enough that tends to backfire.

doverdrama said...
you are a very deep writer. eveen your comment shows it

EccePuellaScriptis112, Raleigh, North Carolina

"Love - it is not the book itself, but the binding. It can rip us apart or hold us together.”
-Deb Caletti

I can see your point of view. Sometimes people who are extremely well-liked are hated because they are so called "popular" people. But in some other situations, people who are the most well liked can be very cruel and judgmental about people who aren't like them. That is why a lot of people criticize the "populars". I guess you just have to be able to tell the difference between the people who are just well-liked and are genuinely sweet and nice, and the people who are well liked by many, but use this as an excuse to act like they are superior and be mean to anyone they consider beneath them.

wordweaver96 PLATINUM, Winchester, Kentucky

" It is not our abilities but our choices that show who we truly are. "
Albus Dumbledore

See, we really DON'T have anything to fear but fear itself!

This is good. You're lucky, because about half of the popular people (maybe a little more) are jerks who cuss, act perverted, and make fun of other people.