High School | Teen Ink

High School MAG

By Anonymous

     Jock. Slut. Band geek. Emo. Nerd. Stoner. Ghetto. Preppy. Goth. Punk. Skater. Theater kid. Popular. Loner. Loser. Redneck. Brat. Hippie. Metrosexual. Bum. Thug. Princess. Mess-up. Stuck up. Slacker. Class clown. Diva. Druggy. Teacher’s pet. Bully. Gay. Wangster. Black. White. Puerto Rican. Asian. Mexican. Freshman. Sophomore. Junior. Senior.

There seems to have been a problem during the evolution of our generation. Born into the era of diversity, presented with limitless opportunities, how have we become so accustomed to conformity? Why would it be so absurd for a cheerleader to be in the Science Olympiad? The subcultures at our school label and simplify each complex individual. Many students are aching to break out. Instead, we shield our self-esteem by surrendering to the relentless battle of social warfare.

We have yet to stand up against stereotypes. Somehow we allow words to define us, constrict us socially, limit us intellectually, and build up barriers between each other. This only makes our differences stand out.

In a typical closet, one would probably find jeans, shirts, shoes, belts, and other items. A healthy diet consists of an assortment of food. Our iPods and mix CD’s are not filled with the same tracks, and our DVD collections have comedies, dramas, and horror and action films. Every aspect of our lives is filled with variety, yet we surround ourselves with personalities parallel to ours. Imagine wearing the same shirt every day, eating the same food at every meal, or listening to only one song for the rest of our existence. Life would be bland. “Variety is the spice of life,” including our relationships. Each person has quirks, secrets, passions, and opinions. The only real difference, though, lies in the fact that those who are truly different shape the world.