The Blue Law: a discrimination against religion | Teen Ink

The Blue Law: a discrimination against religion

By Tara(: BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey
Tara(: BRONZE, Princeton, New Jersey

“We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” As stated by the Declaration of Independence, we have natural rights that can never be taken away by the government. We have the right of life, which phrases that every human has the right not to be killed by any other human being. We have the right of liberty, which enables freedom: freedom of speech, religion, assembly, and press. Lastly, we have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Allowing us to do as we please without government interference. So my fellow people, with this thought in mind, does the blue law go against our natural right of liberty?

The Blue Law was first established in the 17th century to enforce and observe religious standards. Sundays were set to be a day of rest and worship, and it made a restriction of Sunday shopping. Laws like this are also set in non-Christian religions. In Israel, Saturdays also have a blue law like law and in Islam, the month of Ramadan is for worship and rest. However, in a country that is known as the melting pot of the world, does a day of worship work?

America, the melting pot of the world has people from all over the world whom practice different religions. If Sundays are used as a day of worship for Christians, shouldn’t Saturday’s and Friday’s be used as other days of worship in observance of Judaism and Islam? If we were to incorporate all of the days that people worship religion, there would be no days left in the week for anything except religious observances. We can’t put aside one day of the week to pause all leisure activities and just practice religion because that discriminates against many people. Although Sundays may work for Christians, it doesn’t work for people who practice Judaism, Islam, and so many other religions. This law is also religious discrimination. There can’t be a law that gives Christians a day for worship and no other religion. It isn’t fair or even civil. My solution, there should be no specific day of worship. Let’s start a revolution and abolish the Blue Law.

goldmansharone GOLD, Boulder, Colorado

A different world cannot be built by indifferent people
What a miserable thing life is: you're living in clover, only the clover isn't good enough.
You'll never shine if you don't glow.
Selfishness is a horrible trait.

Since there is a seperation from state and religion, I think it is OKAY that people do extremes while worshiping. I see your point, but people can worship on their own while letting americans do their own thing. For example, in Israel, people don't shop, drive, or do many other things on the Sabath. But those who want to, CAN do whatever they want.

:)

Good essay, though... I see your point.