Looking | Teen Ink

Looking

By Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. -Anne Lamott, from Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

As we walk down the hallways surrounded by our peers, we judge. We judge people on their clothes, their hair, their smile, the way they laugh, the people they talk to. On the other side, people hate what you judge them on and are thinking about others the same way. So when your in your corner with you friends laughing at red head Jenny's annoying southern laugh, she's wishing she didn't just move here. As you look at Marie's sullen face, laughing at the way her make-up is caked on her eyes and all smeared around, she's wishing she hadn't just found out her mother has cancer. The way we look at people and the more we stare trying to think of something wrong with everybody, we create a softer exterior for ourselves. So when someone points and laughs at our terrible shoes or quiz grade, we feel the same as the people we judged because the more we try and find things wrong with everyone else, we forget our own mistakes and feelings. And the day when you get rejected by someone you look up too, you realize that not everybody wants you, because you begin to think everyone else is worse than you. Then when the only people who are willing to look past everything that you've said and done are the people who have never done it, you don't fit in. Jenny and Marie have never judged you, so they have too many friends to put up with you either. So as we are looking around, don't forget that your own mistakes and problems are the same as some of the people who you judge. Then the one time you forgot to tie your shoe laces and fall down the steps in front of everyone, you will finally realize you joked about Sarah that way too, and the feelings that you inflicted on her, are inflicted into your own skin. Sticks and stones may not break your bones, and words may never hurt you but, the problems that build up and are weighed down by peoples whispers and stares may crush you once and for all.

Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan

lo no, your njot being annoying...I love comments!!!

aspiringauthor_ BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." - MLK Jr.

This was really good. I realized I have done this (judged someone) and never thought of the circumstances. Thanks for putting things in perspective.

P.S. I hope I'm not being annoying with all these comments! :)