Equality for All: Itwamba County, Think Twice | Teen Ink

Equality for All: Itwamba County, Think Twice

May 14, 2010
By Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky
Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky
31 articles 9 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people merely exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde


Down here in Itawamba County, I hear you judge people on their sexual preference. I hear you strip people of their rights because of their sexual preference. Well, that sure looks pretty darn bad on you all down here in Itawamba County. Canceling prom? Really? You are going to ruin a whole senior class’s memories because one lesbian couple wants to go. Do you not think that love is love no matter your gender? “The important thing is not the object of love, but the emotion itself.” These words were spoken by Gore Vidal, and I think they couldn’t be truer. Love is love. That’s the simplicity of it. Should someone be deprived love because of their sexual orientation? Should someone be deprived of life experiences because they choose a life that is different than yours? I don’t think so.
Life is hard on gays in the first place. Take a walk in their shoes. Do you know what it feels like to be teased for doing what makes you happy? Do you know what it feels like to be called a fag or a queer? Do you know how much it hurts to know that you’ll never be totally accepted? It hurts. A lot. Take a moment to stand where they are. Look around. Look at people ridiculing you for being who you are. For doing what makes you happy. You’re making that worse on them. These lesbians you’re canceling prom for are going through so much right now because of your decision. Now, they not only have to deal with the normal chorus of “Fag,” and “Queer,” but they have the added torment for being the reason a whole class has to go without prom. Think about what that must do to them.
Have you all personally talked to Constance? Do you all know everything about her? Have you looked up her records? Have you spoke with her family? Do you know what kind of person she is? The last time I checked people we’re supposed to be judged on the content of their character. Do you know what kind of person Constance McMillen is, or are you just judging on the fact that she’s gay? Dr. Seuss once said, “People are people, no matter how small,” and I think this quote works here nicely. People are all people. Just like you. Some just choose to lead different lives, and no matter what kind of life they live, they should be judged on the same platform as you and me. No matter how small, or different, or young, or old. We’re all people, and we should all be judged on character, not preferences.
I’m 15, and I’ve been through a lot myself. I’ve been through a lot to be with my girlfriend, so even though I can’t say I’ve been in Constance’s shoes exactly, I’ve seen how rough it’s been on me; I can only imagine how bad it can get. People should never be treated this way. No one deserves it. For anything. What I don’t understand is that these people who judge and torment and persecute claim to stand on the Bible. Well, I’ve read the Bible cover to cover, and I found judgment is a sin. Correct me if I’m wrong, and if I’m not, then let me ask you, who are you to say anything about what Constance does? If you do not lead a perfect life yourself, then who are you to judge hers? Or anyone’s for that matter? Don’t judge. Don’t torment. Don’t persecute. Then, maybe you can start to tell us how you think we should live our lives.
People here in this town treat homosexuality like a disease. Well, Robin Tyler had something to say about that one, “If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work: ‘Hello. Can't work today, still queer.’” Treat homosexuality like it is. It’s a life choice, and if you don’t agree with it, it doesn’t give you a right to treat others who do worse. You are no better than them. You are no better than any other human being on this planet, and people, if you truly think they are wrong, if you truly think this will lead them down a path of evil, do you think telling them they are bad people will help anything? Love and compassion are better at fixing things than anything else. Try some of that. Try walking in their shoes. Try looking at the world from their point of view. Don’t just judge. Don’t take things for cover value. This is what I challenge you to do as I close my speech. Take a second look at what you’re doing, and think twice. Ask yourself if what you’re doing is really helping anything. Ask yourself if maybe you’re hurting something. Ask yourself if you’re hurting someone. Ask yourself if it’s worth it.