Letters From Our Future Selves | Teen Ink

Letters From Our Future Selves MAG

Dear Associate Dean,

I don’t believe I deserve this detention. I don’t do drugs or skip class. Just because I eat lunch with the “bad eggs” does not mean that I am one. If you stereotype me then I begin to stereotype myself. Before long, I will deserve detention.

Sincerely,
Future Fast-Food Employee

Dear Police Officer,

Please give me a ticket for speeding. I was going 12 over the limit in a school zone. Just because I’m a pretty girl doesn’t mean I am above the law. I have received six warnings already, and I’m starting to believe I can do no wrong. It is good for me to get in trouble. You aren’t doing me any favors by letting me off. Soon I will believe I am invincible.

Thanks,
Future Drunk Driver

Dear Gym Teacher,

Please don’t just stand around while I am always picked last. I know you see me. Pick our teams or require the ball to be passed to three people before a point can be scored, or make us run in circles so nobody knows I’m the slowest. Just do something! I am starting to hate exercise. If you think I’m bad at athletics, I will start to believe it too. The time I spend exercising is dwindling fast. Help me.

Sending my regards,
Future Gastric Bypass Patient

Dear Parent,

Please stop praising me for being a jock. I know I can throw a mean football and I bring home the hottest cheerleaders, but I am so much more. I need you to acknowledge my creative writing assignment. I need you to accept my friends who are less attractive. For once I need you to ground me for getting a D in art and not just tell me, “It’s okay – art ­doesn’t matter.” If you don’t treat me like more, I won’t believe I can do more.

Sincerely,
Meathead Who Can’t Write a Letter

Dear Teacher,

Please pick groups for us. I know everyone smiles when you say, “Get in groups of three,” but it’s really hurting us. I have been in the same group for eight years. If this continues I will never make new friends or step out of my comfort zone. You are responsible for us while we are in class. You expect me to act like an adult, but I am obviously not one yet. Soon, I won’t be able to do anything new, because you didn’t teach me how.

From,
Guy Who Never Moved Out of His Parents’ House

Dear Smart Kid,

Please be my partner in class. I know you think I am just using you for answers, but I think maybe I can help you too. I know it’s not your fault you don’t like me. Come on, let’s be friends. What do you have to lose?

Sincerely,
Stupid Kid Who Will Never Be More

Dear Future Child,

I promise I’ll be good to you. The change starts with me, and that’s exactly what I plan to do. I will do my best to raise you to have compassion and empathy for all. You will have the freedom to be who you are and not who I tell you to be. You will see others as more than just an associate dean, ­police officer, gym teacher, parent, teacher, or smart kid. Instead, you will know their names. That change starts with me.

Sincerely,
Teen From the Clique Generation

MARiSSA! BRONZE, Memphis, Tennessee

hUSTlE hARD StACKK PAPER!

very good

i like how your talking from everybodys point of niew.

emilyj93 GOLD said...
emilyj93 GOLD, Naperville, Illinois
Im speechless. Very breakfast club, I love it!

esmeralda BRONZE, Oak Park, Illinois

"you know your inlove when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." dr suess "you are my glue without you, id be nothing but broken peices" miley cyrus
"when i saw yo i fell inlove, and you smiled because you knew"

i really like this

its very original : )

Nicolioliolsterz_1 GOLD, Manassas, Virginia

All good is hard. All evil is easy. Dying, losing, cheating, and mediocrity is easy. Stay away from easy.
Scott Alexander

A word is dead when it is said, some say. I say it just begins to live that day.
Emily Dickinson

Not knowing when the dawn will come I open every door.
Emily Dickinson

Through sarcasm is sometimes the only way to get your message across.very creative!

Your_Guardian_Angel PLATINUM, Clermont, Florida

"I have great confidence in fools, my friends call it self-confidence."

this was EPIC

lifechange said...
your messege is loud and clear, could i get permission to use it at my school disdrict, thanks

Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
I love the idea of this letter. It's great!

pinksage33 BRONZE, Woodstock, New York
This is really good!!!

Sunshineyday said...
Very creative!!! Witty, thought-provoking, artisitc, and very very good.

AmnyR BRONZE said...
AmnyR BRONZE, Clifton, Texas

To the world, you may be just one person, but to one person, you may be the whole world. ~unknown

this is awesome. more people need to realize what it is you're telling us. great job, keep writing

Lubna Kapadia SILVER, Toronto, Other
Well done!

Good work, challenges the mind to think out of the box!

leliza BRONZE said...
leliza BRONZE, Wichita Falls, Texas
1 article 1 photo 17 comments
That is amazing. I really liked how there are real life people like that out there. Good work.

tomorrowdarling SILVER, Braselton, Georgia
wow. i really liked that. it is very uniquely written and extremely true.

Hollywog. PLATINUM, Mole Creek, Other

It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all..

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Ghandi

This is incredible. The idea is original and your writing style is fabulous. Kepp up the amazing work! 5/5! Check out some of y work if you have the time. Well done again.

Hollywog. x

Samantha McCormick BRONZE, Dobson, North Carolina
I really enjoyed this. Amazing idea.

As I read them, I could clearly picture the face of a person I could envision writing the letter. That's a sign of excellent writing. Good job!

readingredhead33 SILVER, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

life sucks. then you die.

oh i like it. neat idea.

EMR said...
Very nice. Not sure what the Clique generation is, though.

Kim Norris said...
on Jun. 5 2009 at 4:25 am
Kim Norris, Concord, California
I think if we all thought that we were in other peoples positons the world would be better.

i love the idea and think it would make a great assignment for my class. it really makes you think

YeseniaG SILVER, Livonia, Michigan

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans.

That was great. I think it's one of the best pieces on this website.