What you don't know | Teen Ink

What you don't know

December 12, 2011
By siri13 BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey
siri13 BRONZE, Ventnor, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 5 comments

“Where are you taking me?”


“You’ll see.”

“FBI Peniten- I’m innocent! I didn’t do anything! I have never been convicted of a felony in my life!”

“Cut the crap! The world is better off anyway locking up worthless, no good dogs like you! You are in for a world of pain.”

US prison torture goes against everything America is about. First & foremost, many of the things done to the “guilty” should be illegal. In addition, who are we to violate someone’s rights not only as an American citizen, but as a human being in general? Finally, we should also think about how it affects America’s reputation. Who knew freedom had such a high price?

First and foremost, many of the things done to the people who are supposedly guilty should be illegal. I have personally seen what happens to people in those kinds of unbearable situations. They are attacked by savaged dogs, have stun belts used on them, force fed, water torture, chained up and urinated on, forced to strip naked, placed in to tundra-like or sweltering rooms, have their hands chained to a wall for days, cursed at, beaten, & crammed into miniscule cages. That is only a number of things that US prisons do. These conditions are so unbearable for some people that they die. About 7,843 people die in US prisons each year. The main reason that some people are even interrogated in the first place is because of their race. If these actions are legal, then I DO NOT want to know what is illegal.

More over, who are you to violate someone’s rights not only as an American citizen, but as a human being in general? Unfortunately for the tortured, most of their humiliation is captured on video. Way to act like a terrorist! If you think I’m crazy then listen to this; the word terrorist, by definition, means a person who terrorizes or frightens others. Every citizen, no, every human being has the right to life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness. When you deprive someone of that what do they have left? More importantly, what do you gain? The satisfaction of knowing you put someone through so much pain & misery that they can’t sleep for weeks. The satisfaction of knowing that you put them through Hell on Earth. Everyone has rights, but no one has the right to cause this amount of traumatizing pain.

Last, but certainly not least, it damages America’s reputation. Yes, every country has some type of torture they inflict upon the incarcerated, but the US nearly goes off the charts. As of 2008, The United States incarceration rate is the highest in the world. The United States takes up 25% of the world’s incarcerated population. Some people call the United States “The World’s Leading Jailer”. We all should know by now that actions speak louder than words.

Ultimately, US prison torture goes against everything America is about. The unspeakable things done in tons of US prisons should be illegal. Many of the things done violate a person’s rights as a human being in general. Prison torture also damages America’s reputation. I’m not saying I hate America. I love America; I just hate what the citizen’s of America are doing. God gave us minds to create & discover, not to tarnish.