All Human Beings, Man or Woman, Are Created Equal | Teen Ink

All Human Beings, Man or Woman, Are Created Equal

By Sunshine15 PLATINUM, Modi&#39in, Other
Sunshine15 PLATINUM, Modi&#39in, Other

Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world. Indeed, nothing else ever has. ~Margaret Mead

It happens on basketball courts, on television, in politics, in work life, and yes, even in the classroom. It’s called degrading women. Sexism. Males in the world rant about “those feminists” who are just going overboard, and overstating and exaggerating the facts. Well, here are the facts, and they point towards one direction: the frequent existence of sexism in our society.

Firstly, let’s begin with television. Fox News, the number one news channel in the United States, is a perfect example. In the five years I’ve been interested in politics, and have watched Fox frequently, I’ve really only seen thin, beautiful (mostly blonde) anchorwomen. The same statistics don’t go for the men; there are a few unattractive anchormen on the channel. I’m fairly certain that these women (against whom I have nothing, it’s very possible to be pretty and smart, Megan Kelly is one of my favorite anchorwomen) were chosen instead of more capable, more experienced, fatter and uglier women. Does it seem reasonable that one should want to receive news especially from good-looking women, as opposed to the smartest individuals in the market? It seems pretty unreasonable to me.

In past years, some of the top-rated reality TV shows have been: America’s Next Top Model (quite obviously, for showing women’s bodies provocatively), the Bad Girls Club (it embarrasses me to see what women wear on that show) and dating shows, where girls are pretty much treated like pieces of meat while one ego-inflated star tries to choose which one of them is the most valuable meat. There’s a common denominator between all these shows: the degrading of women.

I, personally, have heard tens, maybe even a hundred stories of career women over whom less-qualified men were chosen for work opportunities. This is yet another world where women must fight for their rights and their respect, trying to overcome centuries of inbred sexism. It seems impossible that a day will come where two resumes, a man’s and a woman’s, will be read equally and with no gender preference.

These facts—and, no I’m not exaggerating with them, this is the truth—are the reason that women must still, so long after the Women’s Revolution, fight for their rights. In the constitution of the United States, these words are written: “We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.”

Just like the Constitution is colorblind, it should also be gender-blind.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident that all human beings, man or woman, are created equal.”