Posing Emo | Teen Ink

Posing Emo

By ~Wolf-Woman~ PLATINUM, Carthage, Missouri
~Wolf-Woman~ PLATINUM, Carthage, Missouri

High school is full of cliques, quirks, and different styles. Teens around the whole world have their own look which defines who they are. Some create their own, while some steal fashion trends from others. The “emo” look is a raging fashion trend all over the States. Madeline from Missouri, Erin from Texas, and Izzy from Pennsylvania have noticed the style spreading across the globe, even to where they live.
“It’s all brought to you possible by Hot Topic,” Sam replied.
Hot Topic, Spencers, and other similar clothing stores, is what started the whole up roar of posing as Emo. These stocking up in that adorable line of clothing is to blame. If you have any personal interest in the Emo style just go to one of the stores mentioned above.
Where have all the Emo’s gone? Now -- a- days the world is made up of posers trying to look “hot” in the Emo clothing. Is dressing up like that even worth the time? Will it gain the fellows a lady?
“No, not in any way,” Megan said when asked if the Emo style is flattering on guys.
Others may disagree. Take Erin for example.
“It’s attractive on some,” Erin said.
I will leave the decision up to you if you wish to dress in Emo clothing. Some might be turned on by it and others might not be.
Some have noticed even their own friends turning into posers. Sam’s friend dyed her hair a unnatural color and swapped her clothing style.
“You just know it when they are posing and not the real thing,” Sam said.
Skinny jeans, slim fitting tees, fingerless gloves, dark makeup, flat swept banged hair on guys,” Sam said, when asked what clothing type comes to mind when hearing the word Emo.
When not posing as an Emo, people are stereotyped into the category as the “emotional type”. Do you consider wearing black, dark makeup, and sporting a dark hair color makes you Emo?
When asked Madeline answered “yes”.
I was personally stereotyped as Emo when I chopped off all my hair short into a pixie cut, and dyed it a black.
Does the awesome fashion sense make the Emo, or is it how they act, feel, put together with the fashion sense?
“It’s how they act and feel that makes them what they are, Emo,” said Emma.
People need to stop the posing and the stereotyping. You need to learn how to feel comfortable in your own skin and just be yourself. Don’t go all Emo or any other just to be cool or to fit in. It’s just going to backfire in your face.
Where have all the Emo’s gone? Is the world only just full of posers and gothic, and punk stereotyped as Emo?

Puff_the_dragon PLATINUM, Monroe, North Carolina

Love can be lost but it will never be forgotten

oh sorry my twin _Elsy_ typed that, not me.

hm, i have been wearing black skinny jeans long before i knew it was "emo," and my hair is red as well. -and i am not a poser- So now i am made fun of throughout my school just because of what i look like. And no where i live there is few posers where i live. Amazing job on your article :D

zfcastle said...
I, personally, like the emo style. If you don't like the emo style, the solution is simple; don't be emo... If others chose to dress or act differently, that's their own choice.

Your article reminds me of one I wrote for my school newspaper, except I was criticizing the opposite: Abercrombie shoppers and people who buy "in" brands just to be noticed. I think that emo is just an act, but so is being an "Abercrombie Zombie", as I like to put it. Now that I read it from the vice versa view, maybe all middle and high school labels are just "publicity stunts" to be noticed. That makes me wonder. . . Thank you for the deeply thought article. You probly feel the same way about emo as I do about Abercrombie and Hollister brands.

SydVicious said...
emo is a type of music that started back in the 90's, with awesome bands. There was no moshing, there was no Aiden. I was good music. The media has turned it into an awful, whiny, and unflattering trend. All of the good emo bands are gone. they dropped off in the early 2000. Ask someone today and they'll say, "Scary Kids Scaring Kids or Jeffree Star, or AFI". That's not true, real emo is At The Drive In, The Get Up Kids, really great bands that no one has ever heard of now. It makes me sad that it's been turning into something that it's not but that's the way the world goes.