MLK Essay | Teen Ink

MLK Essay

By Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas
Mishamigo DIAMOND, Newton, Kansas

We accept the love we think we deserve.

“But Mom, it’s just Injustice!”

“If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so,” say the wise words of the doctor. What exactly makes a law unjust you ask? Well, let me tell you.
If there is a law condoning the physical or verbal harm to yourself or another human being, it is unjust. If there is a law saying that any of God’s children, no matter the gender, economic level, or ethnicity, are unequal to another human being, it is unjust. It is unfair for someone to be treated differently just because of their skin tone.
Have you ever noticed how during summer, girls try and tan their skin outside in the sun? At what shade does it become perfect? At what shade does it become, “no, wait, you’re inadequate now.” Is there a line? There shouldn’t be. When did it become, “I’m better than you because I have white skin.” I do not know where we decided to bound people in verbal chains based on the pigment of their skin, but it’s about damn time we cut those chains.
If a law is unjust, no one should have to follow it. No one should have to follow something that goes against their morals, or just plain makes other people feel bad about themselves. I agree completely with what King is saying. He had more common sense than half the people these days seem to have.